(August 1, 2007)
Times to check your blood sugar
Sometimes people wonder when it would be "best" to check the blood sugar level. There isn't any single best time, but here are some suggestions:
- Before meals.
- After meals (although exactly how long after starting to eat is arguable: some folks say 90 minutes, others 120 minutes).
- At bedtime.
- If you think you are having low sugar symptoms.
- If anyone thinks you are having low sugar symptoms.
- About one-and-a-half hours after eating.
- At about 3:00 AM.
- If you are ill. (Be sure to check several times daily; if the results are higher than usual, call for advice!)
- Before driving an automobile or operating other dangerous machinery.
- Both immediately before, and after, active exercise. (Also, if you have the chance, check an hour before the exercise to see if you are trending down or upwards).
- For at least 3 days after any doctor changes any of your medications.
- At least 4 times a day during hospitalizations.
- If you are curious.
The more you check, the better you'll do. (But that's the subject of another discussion sometime soon.)